Action Ethiopia and SUNARMA were simultaneously established in 2000 in response to the extreme challenges faced by small-scale farmers and the natural environment. We focus on three remote project areas: Wof Washa, Gurage, Wuchale & Jidda.
What makes us different: we reach out to some of the most remote communities in Ethiopia, where international aid doesn’t stretch. We don’t supply endless handouts- we assist by stimulating sustainable livelihoods.
Vision: to see stable and empowered communities living in a stable and productive environment.
Aim: the protection and enhancement of the environment through sustainable practices that have a lasting effect on people’s lives.
As it stands, large swathes of Ethiopia face a perilous future. The rural population is increasing at a staggering rate and it is predicted that the population will have doubled by 2025.
Many local people understand what is happening and know that they may face a desolate future. Problems such as soil erosion, deforestation, over grazing, disease and droughts mean many of the communities face food insecurity. This is deeply worrying for families with children to feed.
- Enable farmers to produce enough food through training and improved agricultural technology and practices.
- Develop sustainable livelihoods such as production of honey, fuel-saving stoves and community-based tourism.
- Work with forest groups to form cooperatives as legal entities to develop and protect the natural forest.
- Increase access to clean safe water through well construction, improving sanitation and developing micro irrigation systems.
- Initiate women cooperatives, to provide access to micro credit and other services that develop enterprise.